#1 kepos

kepos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:33 AM

Hello

What do i have to do in order to set up an auto backup of touchpoint data.

2 mcs posready7.

Simple instructions please

Thanks

#2 Darren ICR

Darren ICR

Super Guru

• ICRTouch Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts

I would download a utility that backs up files and folders on a schedule.

http://www.techradar...commend-1137924

logo.png

#3 kepos

kepos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Thanks.
Will do

#4 Mr Col

Mr Col

Super Guru

• ICRTouch Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,638 posts

It doesn't help you out now, but TouchPoint 2016 has automatic background backups stored in the cloud :)

#5 SimonTS

SimonTS

Super Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

It doesn't help you out now, but TouchPoint 2016 has automatic background backups stored in the cloud :)

Ooooh, I like that. Saves me from constantly having to create Dropbox accounts for customers.

LBS_ICR_Forum_Logo.png

#6 Bobtills

Bobtills

Super Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

We started doing this a while ago, but stopped cos our solicitors told us that once they started using it, this was our customer's data, not ours, and there were Data Protection issues, which we didn't want to address so we stopped doing it.

Where do we stand with your backup?

#7 Mr Col

Mr Col

Super Guru

• ICRTouch Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,638 posts

Where do we stand with your backup?
 Firstly, it's not your problem as you're neither storing it, nor have any way of accessing it.  You can only restore a backup for the same licence number, and only if it's happy that the dongle has been recognised which means that you can't spoof a licence either.  Customers will be able to opt-out of it too :)

As far as concerns us, we're registered as a Data Controller with the ICO.  Mostly it's all common sense with the way you handle the data and who has access to it and pretty much only covers personally identifiable data such as the customer file in any case.

Until we actually release it we won't finalise how the data is stored, though currently they're in non-identifiable, mildly encrypted files with the whole estate stored mixed together.

:) 

#8 Bobtills

Bobtills

Super Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

:)

I hoped you'd say something like that cos now you've solved our problem.  :)

We wanted to do this but felt we couldn't as we didn't want to jump through the hoops.  :(

But now that you've jumped through the hoops for us, everyone's a winner!  :)

Thank you Mr Col, you've delivered again!  :)  <3

#9 lurk

lurk

Super Guru

• ICRTouch Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

The main hoop you have to jump through is registering with the ICO and it's extremely likely that you have to do that anyway. You have to fill in a form and give them £35 a year.

We process all sorts of data about various things but fundamentally we're registered because:

We have CCTV recording most of the building and outside
We receive all sorts of backups of till programs and TouchOffice/TouchLoyalty databases that can include customer program files and customer transaction history sales files which we use for providing support to whoever sent them

We might have to amend our entry when we start offering that backup service but we'll sort that when we know what data we're processing and what for :) Figuring out how to describe what you're doing to the ICO is the hardest part of it.
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean neither more nor less.'