There are plenty of 'cheap' or 'free' EPoS solutions out there to choose from, however the upfront cost should not be the most important criteria when choosing the solution that manages all the sales and inventory within your business. Instead, choose a solution that offers great value for money for the lifetime of the system. A good way to ensure that you get a high return on your investment is to choose the right solution from the start that offers the features, flexibility and support that you need to operate your business effectively.
Choosing the wrong EPoS software could be costly, even if you paid nothing for it in the first place. It can lead to you making critical and expensive mistakes and leave you feeling frustrated and dissatisfied with your current system. And could prove even more costly to have to start over again, find new EPoS software and try to migrate over from your existing solution.
So what are the pros and cons of free EPoS software?
- It's free. You haven't lost anything so far.
- Slow support response times. Some free software is totally unsupported or support is a premium service via an expensive phone line.
- Since you didn't pay for the software, there is no comittment to resolve bugs in the code without regular or any software updates. You could end up with an outdated and unstable system within a few months, which may lead you to contract a 3rd party specialist to resolve your issues.
- There is little or no incentive to ensure that a free EPoS system is reliable, stable or conforms to local laws.
- Generic features with little flexibility and scaleability of the commercially engineered software solutions.
- Often free really means demo, or cut down version where you have to pay a premium for the standard features of other systems.
- Often you'll have to pay to get the documentation for your EPoS system.
- Extra charges on credit card processing increases the total cost of ownership over the long term.
The right EPoS solution should...
- Lower your inventory costs by streamlining your process. Back office software linked to your EPoS system can help automate your ordering process, help you quickly perform stock takes, run reports on items sold, returned and wasted and view current stock levels.
- Improve customer service by processing sales quickly, prompt for special offers and deals, provide product information, and give personalised greetings to Loyalty Customers.
- Reduce costly errors by making it easy for staff and customers to see what items have been sold, monies tendered and change due.
- Automate tedious and repetitive tasks such as discount calculations, surcharges and multiply up items ordered without ringing them in individually.
- Maximise efficiency and save time and money with addon features that reduce queuing times, reduce trips made by staff waiting on tables or make it easy to edit or add prodcuts on the fly at the till.
- Simplify more effective management of your business with centralised staff management, stock control and reporting services.
- Evolve and adapt as your business changes over the years to come.
And Increase your profits!
Always remember... in the end, you get what you pay for!